Trends and Opportunities in the French Packaging industry: Analysis of changing packaging trends in the Food, Cosmetics and Toiletries, Beverages and Other industries
Innovations in the packaging industry have led to the development of various light weight, flavor/quality preserving, and convenient packaging options. In terms of packaging material, Rigid Plastics and Flexible Packaging are among the major share gainers, with share growth of 0.6% and 0.5% respectively during 2016-2021, predominantly due to the cost-effectiveness and convenience they offer, which is preferred in the Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages industries within France. On the other hand, Paper & Board packaging is forecast to lose 0.8% of its share during 2016-2021, largely due to the fall in the consumption of Cigarettes (largest consumer of Paper & Board packaging), and the rising popularity of Rigid Plastics and Flexible packaging in the Non-Alcoholic Beverages industry.
The French packaging industry will see moderate growth between 2016-2021, growing from 88,645.6 million units in 2016 to 96,395.5 million units in 2021, at a CAGR of 1.7% compared to 1.4% during 2011-2016. The growth of the French packaging industry will be heavily influenced by changing demographics and social factors such as a high employment rate and a large aging population, which have a clear impact on consumer spending power and purchasing habits. These changes drive the need for new packaging formats such as convenient, value-for-money, multi-packs, and smaller single-serve packs.
Rigid Plastics is the most used pack type in France and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 2.0% during 2016-2021. Rigid Plastics are preferred by manufacturers due to their moldable characteristics and versatility of applications across industries. In addition, the increasing demand for cheaper, lighter, and more convenient packaging make Rigid Plastics most preferred pack type for FMCG products. The Food and Soft Drinks industries are the major users of Rigid Plastics, accounting for 62.1% and 15.2% share respectively in 2016.
Paper & Board packaging is projected to grow at a CAGR of -0.1% during 2016-2021, declining from 8,186.8 million units in 2016 to 8,156.6 million units in 2021. This decline is large attributed to the fall in the consumption of Cigarettes (largest user of Paper & Board packaging) in the country, thus directly impacting the growth of packaging. In addition to Tobacco and Tobacco Products, consumption is set to decrease in various other industries such as Soft Drinks, Household Care, and Pet Care, driven by the rising popularity of Rigid Plastics and Flexible Packaging in these industries.
The packaging market in France is strongly driven by demand from the Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages industries, which make heavy use of the Rigid Plastic, Flexible Packaging, and Rigid Metal pack types. The popularity of Rigid Plastics (42.0% share in 2016) is attributed to benefits such as convenience and the extended shelf life of Food products such as Bakery & Cereals, Dairy products, and Soft Drinks.
The report “Trends and Opportunities in the French Packaging industry: Analysis of changing packaging trends in the Food, Cosmetics and Toiletries, Beverages and Other industries” brings together multiple data sources to provide a comprehensive overview of the Packaging industry in France.
In depth, it includes analysis on the following -
- Provides an overview of the usage of different packaging materials across different industries in terms of the number of units, packaging share and growth rates during 2011-2021.
- Provides an overview of the shift in the utilization of various packaging materials across sectors during 2016-2021.
- Includes data and analysis – number of units (millions), volumes (million kg/lit/units), and growth rates- for five packaging types-. Rigid Plastics, Rigid Metal, Glass, Paper & Board, Flexible Packaging and others during 2016-2021.
- Provides an understanding of the ongoing packaging trends in the country – convenience, affordability, multi-packs, eco-friendly etc. – across the five packaging materials.
- Provides a view into the future prospects of the packaging industry.
This report brings together multiple data sources to provide a comprehensive overview of the Packaging industry in France, as part of our coverage of the industry across 20 countries. It includes analysis on the following -
- Market Overview: Provides an overview of the usage of different packaging materials across different industries in terms of the number of units, packaging share and growth rates during 2011-2021
- Growth in use of Pack Material by Sector: Provides an overview of the shift in the utilization of various packaging materials across sectors during 2016-2021
- Key Packaging Materials: Includes data and analysis – number of units (Millions), volumes (Million kg/lit/units), growth rates – for five packaging types viz. Rigid Plastics, Rigid Metal, Glass, Paper & Board, Flexible Packaging and Others (other than the afore mentioned five types) during 2016-2021. It also covers:
- Sub-material: Includes Aluminum, Aluminum foil/paper/plastic, Brick, Flexible Plastic, Gable Top, Glass, HDPE, Metal, Paper, Paper & Board, PET, Plastic, Ready Metal Trays, Shaped, Thin-Walled and Others
- Container Type: Includes Aerosol, Jar, Can – Food, Bag/Sachet, Pouch, Tray, Tub, Carton, Film, Tin, Bottle, Box, Blister Pack, Foil, Wrapper, Clamshell, Tube, Can – Composite, Can – Drink, Other Line Items, Sleeve, Can – Paint, Keg/Drum, Cup, Bag-in-Box, Specialty Cosmetic Containers and Others
- Closure Material: Includes Metal, natural, Plastic, Synthetic and Others
- Closure Type: Includes Cap, Twist Off, Prize Off, Foil, Film, Screw Top, Stopper, Dispenser, Flip/Snap Top, Sports Cap, Plastic Tie, Crown, Lever Closure and Others
- Outer Material: Includes Flexible, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastic and Others
- Outer Type: Includes Box, Sleeve, Bag, Shrink Wrap, Blister Pack and Others
- Trends, Case Studies and Future Outlook: Provides an understanding of the ongoing packaging trends in the country – convenience, affordability, multi-packs, eco-friendly etc.- across the five packaging materials. The report also provides a view into the future prospects of the packaging industry. The case studies in each packaging section gives a success example highlighting the packaging innovations, strategies and best practices.
Reasons to buy
- Packaging companies and retailers seek the latest information on consumer trends and opportunities to formulate their sales and marketing strategies. There is also demand for authentic market data with a high level of detail. This report has been created to provide its readers with up-to-date information and analysis to uncover emerging opportunities of growth within the CPG market.
- As consumer product demand evolves the dynamics between different packaging types also evolves favoring some packaging types and formats and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the shifting market dynamics is key to ensuring maximum sales in the future.
- The differential growth across different packaging materials and formats drive fundamental shifts in the market. These differentials result from various factors such as changing consumer preferences, regulatory compliance, and innovation within the packaging market
- The report is a unique combination of in-depth qualitative analysis and authoritative packaging data for the years 2011-2021. Each packaging material has detailed data breakdown by packaging type, closure material, closure type, outer material, and outer type.